Sunday, September 13, 2015

Use Road Flares Against Gophers

 Use Road Flares to Get Rid of Gophers

Do you ever get mounds of dirt in your yard from those little critters known as gophers? You know the rodents that make all of those ugly mounds of brown dirt pop up overnight. It always amazes me that a small rodent can make such a mess in such a short time. This year, I tried something different than my usual road flare solution.

In previous years, I used road flares to keep the gophers away. Each hole got one road flare. My yard once looked like a mini war zone, with red flames and smoke coming out of holes in the ground. Well this year the solution was supposed to be "Gopher Bombs". These were sold in packs of 8 at a local big box store. They were meant to be used specifically for ridding your yard of gophers. I thought this may work better than road flares, as their use is to be a bright light for road emergencies.

After placing one in each hole, and taking a few pictures to note the occassion, I hoped this would work. Well it did not. More holes came a few days later. In a couple of the holes, there was evidence that the gophers moved the "Gopher Bombs" out of their holes. I also noticed that they did not burn all the way down like a road flare.

So short story, use road flares. Road flares work as gopher repellant. Road flares burn all the way down and do not leave half a stick un-burned. Bought in bulk they may even be cheaper. I will be sticking with road flares in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment